I absolutely love repurposing common household items into fun DIY projects. It’s amazing what you can create with a little imagination! One of my favorite repurposing projects is transforming boring old toilet paper rolls into quirky and creative wall sconces.
The great thing about this project is that it requires very few supplies, most of which you likely already have at home. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Toilet paper rolls – Make sure to stock up on empty rolls instead of tossing them in the recycling bin. Try to gather at least 10-15 rolls to start.
- Acrylic paint – I prefer acrylic since it adheres well to cardboard and dries quickly. Choose whatever colors inspire you.
- Paint brushes – You’ll need a few different size brushes for detail work.
- Hot glue gun – Essential for assembling the sconces.
- Embellishments – Buttons, beads, glitter, sequins, ribbon – anything you want to fancy them up!
- Scissors – For cutting rolls and embellishments as needed.
- LED string lights – These give the sconces a nice glow.
Designing Your Sconces
The great thing about this project is you can let your creativity shine! Consider what shapes and styles you’d like your sconces to be. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Cut or tear rolls into geometric shapes like circles, triangles, squares or diamonds. Paint them bold colors and glue into interesting patterns to make abstract wall art. Add string lights for an illuminated effect.
Slice rolls into rings, paint pastel petal colors, and layer into floral shapes. Group into mini flower bouquet sconces for a sweet springtime look.
Faux Stained Glass
Paint the interior of rolls in deep jewel tones. Then make small cuts on the exterior to let the inner color shine through for a faux stained glass effect. Group together to form lantern-like sconces.
Paint rolls in nautical colors like navy, red, white and yellow. Add accents like anchors, ships or seashells. Group into round porthole shapes for beachy sconces.
The options are endless! Let your imagination run wild.
Constructing Your Sconces
Once you’ve determined the design, it’s time to assemble your creations. Here are some tips for putting it all together:
- Start by painting all the rolls and letting them fully dry.
- Group rolls together how you’d like them arranged before gluing.
- Use hot glue to attach rolls, adding embellishments as you go. Apply a generous amount for a strong hold.
- Attach string lights with hot glue at the back or base. Hide wires between rolls or behind embellishments.
- Glue a small loop of ribbon or rope to the back for hanging.
- Add any final accents like buttons, glitter, flowers or beads with hot glue.
Be careful when gluing as hot glue dries quickly. Adjust pieces as needed before the glue sets.
Displaying Your Creations
The last step is deciding where to proudly display your charming rolled paper sconces! Here are some ideas:
- Group into a gallery wall in a hallway or above a bed. Mix different shaped sconces for lots of visual interest.
- Line up along a shelf or mantle to add a pop of color.
- Hang individually or in a group in a child’s room for a whimsical light source.
- Cluster together to make a headboard accent wall.
- Use to illuminate a dark corner or stairwell.
- Give as gifts! These make wonderfully unique presents for any occasion.
Part of the fun is arranging your sconces creatively on the wall. Play around with different groupings until you find a layout you love.
Get Creative with Toilet Paper Roll Wall Sconces
As you can see, repurposing toilet paper rolls into sconces is an easy, budget-friendly DIY project that lets your imagination run wild. With just a few basic supplies and some simple construction, you can create stunning statement pieces for your walls. It’s a great way to add instant charm and personality to any space. So next time you finish a roll, don’t recycle – reuse it for quirky, eco-friendly sconce art instead! I hope these ideas have inspired you to look at humble toilet paper tubes in a whole new creative light.