Recycling Your Leftover Toilet Paper Rolls into Artsy Vases
Reusing and repurposing discarded materials is not only good for the environment, but it can also be a fun and creative hobby. One item that many households have in abundance are leftover toilet paper rolls, as we go through toilet paper quickly in our daily lives. Rather than throwing these cardboard tubes directly in the recycling bin, you can repurpose them into charming decorative objects to display around your home. With a little imagination and some simple DIY (do-it-yourself) techniques, you can upcycle those empty toilet paper rolls into artsy vases perfect for holding fresh flowers or other decor.
Gather Your Supplies
To begin this easy DIY project, you’ll need to collect some basic craft supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Toilet paper rolls – The main component. Save up used rolls over time.
- Acrylic paint – For decorating the rolls. Have a variety of colors on hand.
- Paintbrushes – For applying acrylic paint. Foam brushes work well.
- Glue gun – To assemble multi-roll pieces. Look for a high-temp glue gun.
- Floral foam – To insert into the rolls to hold flowers. Buy a block of foam.
- Artificial flowers/foliage – For decoration, if not using real flowers.
- Scissors – For cutting pieces to size.
- X-acto knife – For making slits or holes.
- Sandpaper – For smoothing rough edges.
- Newspaper – To protect your work surface from paint.
- Mod Podge – For decoupage with scrapbook paper or photos.
- Spray sealer – For sealing and protecting finished pieces.
Preparing the TP Rolls
Before decorating the toilet paper rolls, you’ll need to prep them for crafting. Here are the key steps:
- Remove any remaining toilet paper – Make sure the tubes are empty!
- Clean the tubes – Wipe down with a damp cloth to remove residue.
- Dry fully – Allow the tubes to dry completely before decorating.
- Sand if needed – Lightly sand to smooth any rough edges or ends.
Prepping the tubes ensures you’ll have a clean canvas for decorating and crafting.
Fun Design Ideas
Now onto the fun part – decorating your toilet paper rolls! There are endless possibilities when it comes to decor. Here are just a few ideas to spark your creativity:
- Solid colors – Paint rolls in your favorite hues using acrylic craft paint.
- Patterns – Paint on stripes, dots, zigzags, or other designs with a small brush.
- Landscapes – Depict simple landscape scenes like mountains, flowers, or trees.
- Decoupage with paper – Cut out decorative scrapbook paper to decoupage.
- Decoupage with photos – Adhere cut out photos to the tubes.
- Washi tape – Wrap fun washi tape around rolls for color and pattern.
- Cut slits – Carefully cut vertical, horizontal, or diagonal slits into rolls with an X-acto knife.
- Cut shapes – Use shaped craft punches to cut out shapes like stars, hearts, or circles.
Mix and match painting, collaging, and cutwork techniques to create unique works of art!
Constructing and Arranging
Once your rolls are beautifully decorated, you can construct them into vases in different ways:
- Single roll – Use an individual roll as one slim vase.
- Bundles – Group and tie decorated rolls together into a bundle with ribbon or twine.
- Sculptures – Get creative, gluing rolls into abstract sculptures or objects.
To make them functional for holding flowers:
- Add foam – Insert a block of floral foam into the top of rolls or roll bundles.
- Add support – Use beads, marbles, or pebbles at the bottom to act as support and weight.
When arranging your upcycled toilet paper roll vases, consider height, color, and visual weight to create an appealing display.
Displaying Your Vases
The final step is finding fun ways to display your handcrafted vase creations:
- Place on shelves or mantels.
- Create a vase gallery wall or sculpture wall.
- Cluster together on side tables, dressers, or countertops.
- Give as gifts, with or without flowers.
- Sell at craft fairs or online handmade marketplaces.
With imagination and a few simple materials, those humble toilet paper tubes can be transformed into artful vases that make a statement in your home. Get creative with this planet-friendly craft!