How to Use Baking Soda to Naturally Deodorize Your Home
Baking soda is an incredibly versatile household product that can be used to deodorize your home in several ways. Here’s how to harness the power of baking soda for a fresher smelling living space:
Eliminate Refrigerator Odors
- Place an open box or bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator and freezer to absorb strong food odors. Change the baking soda every 30 days.
- For major spills that leave a lingering stench, make a baking soda paste with water and scrub the area before wiping clean. The baking soda will neutralize acids that cause smells.
Freshen Smelly Carpets and Rugs
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over carpets and rugs. Let it sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming it up. The baking soda will draw out dirt and odors from deep in the carpet fibers.
- For a maintenance boost between deep cleanings, sprinkle baking soda over carpets and let sit overnight before vacuuming in the morning. This will keep carpets smelling cleaner day-to-day.
Remove Pet Odors
- Cover pet bedding or litter boxes with a layer of baking soda before adding the pet bedding or litter. This will prevent odors from setting into the bottom of the bedding or box.
- Sprinkle baking soda over upholstered furniture and pet bedding. Let sit for 15 minutes before vacuuming to remove pet odors. The baking soda will absorb urine and sweat smells.
Freshen Musty Closets, Drawers and Suitcases
- Place sachets of baking soda or open boxes in musty closets, dresser drawers, basements, cellars and suitcases to absorb odors. The baking soda will pull moisture out of the air and prevent moldy smells.
- Wipe down surfaces in musty spaces with a baking soda paste to neutralize odors before rinsing clean. The baking soda disinfects and deodorizes.
Absorb Odors from Garbage Cans
- Sprinkle a layer of baking soda in the bottom of your garbage can before placing in a new trash bag. This will prevent food odors from absorbing into the can itself.
- Wipe down the inside of trash cans with a baking soda paste. This disinfects and neutralizes lingering odors that have soaked into the garbage can.
Baking soda is a gentle, versatile and effective odor remover. By sprinkling it directly on smelly surfaces or placing it in bowls around your home, you can eliminate musty smells and keep your whole living space smelling fresh.