How to Upcycle Leftover Yarn into Coasters
Upcycling leftover yarn into coasters is a fun and easy craft project that prevents waste and makes great homemade gifts! With just a few materials, you can give your extra yarn a new purpose and create beautiful handmade coasters for yourself or others.
What You’ll Need
- Yarn – scraps and leftover yarn in various colors and textures work best
- Knitting needles – size 8 needles work well, but any needles can be used
- Four inch coaster bases – wooden, cork, or felt squares with around a 4 inch diameter
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
Making the Coasters
Step 1: Knit Small Squares with the Leftover Yarn
- Cast on approximately 20 stitches using your leftover yarn. The cast on number isn’t too important, just aim for a square shape.
- Knit until you have a square about 4 inches wide. The size should match the size of your coaster bases.
- Bind off to complete the square.
- Make as many knit squares as you want coasters. Varying the yarn color and texture creates interest.
Step 2: Arrange the Knit Squares on the Coaster Bases
- Place each knit square on top of a coaster base, arranging them until you’re happy with the design. Mix different colors and textures for the best effect.
- Once arranged, carefully flip over each coaster so the blank side is facing up and you can see the underside of the knit square.
Step 3: Glue the Knit Squares to the Coaster Bases
- Apply a generous amount of hot glue on the underside around the edges of each knit square.
- Firmly press the yarn down onto the coaster base and hold for 30 seconds as the glue cools.
- Add extra glue as needed to securely adhere the knit square to the coaster base.
- Let dry completely. Turn coasters over to see the finished upcycled yarn design!
Design and Variation Ideas
- For thickness and texture, double up multiple knit squares on one coaster base.
- Knit with bulky or varying weight yarn for added interest.
- Shape knit squares into circles, diamonds, hearts or other shapes before gluing down.
- Use yarn scraps to create pom poms and glue them on as embellishments.
- Mix and match different textures like wool, cotton, silk, or novelty yarns.
- Add buttons, felt shapes, or other little notions to further decorate.
Upcycling yarn scraps into coasters is a satisfying way to save resources. Follow the basics and then use your creativity to design unique handcrafted coasters!