How to Responsibly Dispose of Your Old Car Tires
Having old, worn out tires taking up space in your garage or yard? Here’s how to properly dispose of them without harming the environment.
Finding Tire Recycling Centers Near You
The best way to get rid of used tires is to recycle them. There are a few options for tire recycling:
Local Tire Shops
Many tire shops and auto repair shops will take your old tires for free when you purchase new ones from them. Call around to a few nearby shops to ask if they participate in a tire recycling program. This is the easiest way to get rid of old tires if you’re already planning to buy new ones.
Municipal Recycling Centers
Some cities and towns have recycling centers that accept old tires from residents. Check with your local public works department or sanitation department to find out if there’s a municipal tire recycling program in your area.
Major tire manufacturers like Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Michelin have recycling programs where you can drop off your used tires at certain locations. Look up “[tire brand] tire recycling” to find participating tire dealers near you.
Junk Removal Services
Some junk hauling companies like 1-800-GOT-JUNK will take away and properly recycle your old tires for a fee. This is a convenient option if you have no other way to get rid of them.
Preparing Tires for Recycling
Once you find a place to recycle your tires, make sure they are ready to be hauled away:
- Remove any stuck-on mud, rocks, or other debris from the tires. The cleaner they are, the easier they will be to recycle.
- If you have the tires stacked on a pallet, dismantle the stack and separate them.
- Tires must be removed from rims if they are still mounted on wheels.
Benefits of Tire Recycling
Recycling old tires has lots of environmental benefits:
- It keeps tires out of landfills, where they take up lots of space and don’t decompose.
- Recycling allows the rubber, metal, and other materials in tires to be reused rather than wasted.
- It reduces the need for new raw materials like crude oil that are used to manufacture new tires.
Recycling is the best way to dispose of old tires in an eco-friendly way. With so many tire recycling options available, there’s no good reason to simply throw old tires in the trash. Do your part for the environment by finding a responsible way to get rid of unneeded tires.