Yoga has become an increasingly popular activity over the past decade, with more people practicing yoga at home and in studios. As a result, many yogis end up accumulating multiple yoga mats over time. But what do you do when your trusty yoga mat loses its grip and cushion? Before throwing it away, consider repurposing it into a sustainable welcome mat for your home.
Why Recycle Old Yoga Mats?
Yoga mats are often made of PVC or EVA foam. While these materials make durable, grippy mats, they also take hundreds of years to fully biodegrade in landfills. An estimated 85% of discarded yoga mats end up in landfills, slowly leaching toxic chemicals.
By repurposing your mat, you give it renewed life and prevent it from harming the environment. Upcycling old yoga mats into welcome mats is an easy, eco-friendly DIY project that anyone can do. Plus, it saves money compared to buying new welcome mats.
Transforming a yoga mat into a front door mat requires just a few basic craft supplies:
- Old yoga mat
- Scissors or craft knife
- Hot glue gun
- Decorative embellishments (optional)
Look for yoga mats made of natural or recycled materials if you want a completely eco-friendly end product. Cotton, jute, or recycled tire yoga mats are compostable at the end of their lifespan.
How to Upcycle Yoga Mats Step-by-Step
Follow these simple steps to give your worn-out yoga mat new life:
1. Cut the Mat to Size
Use a ruler and pencil to mark cutting lines on your yoga mat. Standard dimensions for welcome mats are 36 inches long by 24 inches wide. But you can customize the size as needed.
Use scissors or a sharp craft knife to cut along the marked lines. Try to cut in straight lines for a neat finished look.
2. Create a No-Slip Backing
To prevent sliding, add a grippy material to the underside of the mat. Options include:
- Hot glue – Apply a zigzag pattern of hot glue to the back of the mat. Let cool completely before using.
- Rubber shelf liner – Cut shelf liner to fit your mat’s underside and glue in place.
- Adhesive-backed sandpaper – Stick strips of sandpaper to the bottom of the mat.
3. Add Decorative Embellishments
Personalize your recycled yoga mat with fun decorative touches:
- Paint or stencil designs using acrylic craft paint.
- Glue on faux flowers, pompoms, or ribbon.
- Stencil an inspirational quote.
- Stamp or stencil your house number.
Get creative with materials you have on hand!
4. Seal and Weatherproof
For outdoor use, seal and weatherproof the mat:
- Apply several coats of acrylic sealer or polyurethane.
- Spray with waterproofing spray to repel moisture.
Reapply sealer or waterproofing yearly. Bring the mat indoors during extreme weather.
And that’s it! With a few easy steps, you can give your worn-out yoga mat new life as a custom, eco-friendly welcome mat. Reduce waste, save money, and keep your mat out of the landfill for years to come.
More Ways to Reuse Old Yoga Mats
If welcome mats aren’t your style, consider these other eco-friendly ways to repurpose your old yoga mat:
- Cut into coasters
- Make into a lumbar support pillow
- Craft into bracelets or keychains
- Cut into pot holders or trivets
- Donate to an animal shelter for pet beds
- Bring to a secondhand store for resale
With some creativity, you can find the perfect way to keep your mat from the landfill. The options for reuse are endless!
Ultimately, repurposing your yoga mat is an easy, sustainable way to reduce waste. By giving it a second life, you keep pounds of PVC and EVA foam out of crowded landfills. And you get to enjoy a handmade, one-of-a-kind item as a result. It’s a win for you and for the planet!