How to Make a Hair Tie From an Old Sock
Making a hair tie from an old sock is an easy and fun DIY project that lets you reuse an item you’d normally throw away. With just a pair of scissors and a few minutes, I can transform an old sock into a cute hair accessory.
What You’ll Need
To make a hair tie from a sock, you’ll need:
- An old sock – I prefer ones made from stretchy material like cotton or spandex blends. Ankle and low-cut socks work best.
- Ruler or measuring tape (optional)
Step 1: Cut Off the Foot of the Sock
The first step is to cut off the foot part of the sock. This will leave you with a tube that you’ll turn into a hair tie.
- Lay the sock flat and use the scissors to cut straight across the sock about an inch or two below the heel.
- I like to use a ruler or measuring tape to make sure I cut evenly across.
- Cut off any extra loose material so you’re left with a tube shape.
- The length will determine the thickness of your hair tie. For a thinner tie, cut lower on the sock and for a wider tie, cut closer to the heel.
Step 2: Fold the Edges Under
Now that you have a tube, fold under the two cut edges about 1/4 inch and pin them in place. This folds the seams to the inside for a cleaner finish.
- Take one cut edge and fold it under itself about 1/4 inch.
- Insert a pin to hold the fold in place.
- Do the same with the other cut edge.
Step 3: Sew the Edges
With the edges pinned, sew them in place by hand or with a sewing machine.
- If hand sewing, use a needle and thread to whip stitch the folded edges down.
- For machine sewing, change the thread color to match the sock and straight stitch close to the inside edge.
- Backstitch at the beginning and end to secure the stitches.
This encloses the cut edges neatly inside the tie.
Step 4: Try Out Your New Hair Tie!
You now have a handmade hair tie ready to wear and keep your hair up in style!
- Stretch out the sock tube and wrap it around your hair into a ponytail or bun.
- The sock material should provide comfortable hold without pulling.
- Play around with wrapping multiple times for a thicker tie or just once for a thinner look.
More Tips for Sock Hair Ties
- Match the sock color to your hair for a seamless look. Black ties blend in especially well.
- Add ribbons or sewing elastic ends for a more polished finish.
- For short hair, wrap a narrow tie just around the ponytail base.
- Use socks with printed designs for fun patterns and textures in your hair.
Reusing an old sock as a hair tie is an easy way to get more use out of the item before throwing it away. Try out this simple DIY hair accessory project for yourself!