How to Make a Cat Scratching Post From Toilet Paper Rolls
Making a cat scratching post from toilet paper rolls is an easy, fun DIY project that can save you money compared to buying one. Here’s how to make one step-by-step.
What You’ll Need
- Toilet paper rolls – Save up rolls for a week or two. You’ll need around 30-50. Cardboard paper towel rolls can work too.
- Scissors – To cut the rolls.
- Hot glue gun – To assemble the post.
- Sisal rope – To wrap around the post. This material is ideal since cats like scratching it.
- Dowel rod or PVC pipe – For the base post. 3/4″ diameter works well.
- Corrugated cardboard – To make a base for the post.
Steps to Make the Scratching Post
Step 1: Cut the Toilet Paper Rolls
Use scissors to cut the toilet paper rolls lengthwise into 2-3 pieces. Try to cut them evenly.
This gives you more material to work with and creates ridges and angles that cats like scratching.
Step 2. Create the Base
Take a piece of corrugated cardboard and trace the dowel rod or PVC pipe onto it. Cut out the circle.
This will be the base for your scratching post.
You can make it any size, but 8-12 inches wide works well.
Step 3. Glue Rolls to the Post
Apply hot glue on the edge of a toilet paper roll piece and adhere it vertically to the pipe or dowel rod.
Make sure it’s straight.
Continue gluing rolls pieces, rotating as you go up.
Overlap the rolls slightly as you glue them on.
Cover the entire dowel rod except for a few inches at the bottom.
Step 4. Glue Rolls to Base
Once the main post is covered in rolls, apply hot glue to the bottom of it and stick it in the center of the cardboard base.
Hold it for 30 seconds as the glue sets.
Step 5. Wrap with Sisal Rope
Take the sisal rope and apply hot glue as you wrap it around the post, starting from the bottom and working up.
Make sure to stretch and pull the rope as you wrap so there are no gaps.
Wrap until all the cardboard rolls are covered.
Step 6. Let Dry Completely
Allow the scratching post to fully dry overnight before letting your cat use it. The hot glue needs time to firmly set.
And that’s it – your DIY cat scratching post made from toilet paper rolls is complete! Customize it by making it taller or adding shelves for your cat to climb on.
Tips for Getting Your Cat to Use the Scratching Post
Here are some tips to encourage your cat to use their new scratching post:
- Place it near sleeping areas – Cats like to stretch and scratch when they wake up.
- Use catnip – Rub some dried catnip on the post to attract your cat to it.
- Reward with treats – Give treats when your cat uses the post so they associate it with positive rewards.
- Discourage furniture scratching – Use foil or double-sided tape on furniture you don’t want scratched.
- Consider getting a taller post – Cats prefer posts that are tall enough for them to fully stretch upward.
Be patient and consistent, and soon your cat will enjoy scratching on their cool new toilet paper roll post!