How to Make a Cardboard Cat Condo
Making a cardboard cat condo is a great way to create an inexpensive and eco-friendly cat play space. Cardboard is easy to work with and can be configured into all sorts of structures and shapes to keep your cat entertained. With a little bit of effort, you can make a fun cardboard playground that both you and your cat will enjoy. In this guide, I will walk you through the full process of planning, designing, and constructing a cardboard cat condo step-by-step.
Planning Your Cardboard Cat Condo
Before starting construction, it’s important to plan out your cat condo design. Here are some key factors to consider:
Size and Layout
- How much space do you have available? Make sure to measure the area where you want to put the condo.
- Decide on the overall size and shape. Rectangular, square, and circular shapes work well.
- Map out different ledges, tunnels, perches and hideaways you want to include.
- Make sure to include spaces big enough for your cat to play and lounge comfortably.
- Cardboard boxes – Collect various sizes from shipping or moving boxes. Prioritize larger, sturdier boxes.
- Tape – Packaging tape or duct tape to assemble.
- Scissors or box cutter – To cut cardboard to size.
- Non-toxic paint or markers (optional) – To decorate the condo.
- Include perches on different levels for climbing and jumping.
- Incorporate hideaways and tunnels for crawling and snoozing.
- Make sure ledges are wide enough to walk on safely.
- Avoid unstable, wobbly structures. Prioritize stability.
- Include scratching posts and pads on surfaces.
Constructing the Cardboard Cat Condo
Once you have a plan, it’s time to start building. Follow these steps:
Prepare Your Materials
- Break down cardboard boxes and cut pieces to size as needed.
- Gather your tape, scissors/box cutter, and any decorative materials.
- Protect your work surface with a drop cloth or tarp.
Assemble the Basic Structure
- Stack and arrange the cardboard pieces according to your planned design.
- Use sturdy boxes or multiple layers of cardboard for the base and main ledges. This provides stability.
- Tape the pieces together securely on all sides and seams. Duct tape provides extra durability.
Add On Tunnels, Perches and Hideaways
- Cut holes in appropriate boxes to create tunnels for your cat to crawl through.
- Elevate smaller boxes using strips of cardboard to create perches.
- Tape cardboard panels together at angles to make little interior hideaway spaces.
- Once assembled, you can decorate the condo with non-toxic paint or markers.
- Add fun accents like your cat’s name, paw prints or fur patterns.
- Use sisal rope, carpet squares or cardboard scratch pads to create scratching areas.
Tips for Completing Your Cardboard Cat Condo
- Make sure all taped seams are secure and won’t collapse under your cat’s weight.
- To increase stability, attach the condo to the wall with included hardware.
- Place the condo in a spot near a window for viewing or in a high-traffic area.
- Tempt your cat to the condo with catnip or treats placed inside.
- To get your cat used to the condo, rub some of their fur inside it.
- Modify or add on to the condo over time to keep it interesting.
With a little creativity and the right techniques, you can build an amazing cardboard cat play land that will provide hours of entertainment. Be sure to monitor your cat using the condo at first to ensure safety. Then sit back and enjoy watching your feline friend enjoy their new handmade playground.