How to Live With Less and Tread Lightly on Our Planet
Reduce Your Consumption
Living with less starts with being mindful of what you buy and consume. Before making any purchase, ask yourself:
- Do I really need this item?
- Will buying this spark joy or add value to my life?
- Can I borrow, rent or buy it used instead of new?
- How long will I actually use this before throwing it away?
Stick to necessities like food, clothing, shelter and avoid impulse buys. Unsubscribe from marketing emails and resist sales. Shop for classics over trends. Mend, repair and repurpose what you have. Share, donate or resell anything unused.
Consume less, buy only what you need. Focus on quality over quantity in purchases.
Choose Sustainable Goods and Services
Support businesses that prioritize sustainability and ethical practices. Here’s how:
- Seek out fair trade, organic and upcycled goods.
- Avoid fast fashion – buy vintage, natural fabrics.
- Choose companies with eco-friendly supply chains and policies.
- Download apps like Good On You to check brand ratings.
- Switch to a green energy provider.
- Use public transport, walk, bike or carpool when possible.
- Bring reusable bags and containers, decline disposables.
Making sustainable choices sends a signal to businesses to improve. It reduces your environmental impact.
Cut Down on Waste
Reducing waste takes effort but pays off through decluttering and lowering your footprint:
- Avoid single-use plastics by bringing your own straw, bag and container.
- Seek out unpackaged goods and zero-waste stores.
- Compost food scraps and recycle properly.
- Donate or sell any extra clothes, toys or household items.
- Cancel paper bank statements and bills, go paperless.
- Fix appliances and furniture before replacing.
- Unsubscribe from catalogs and junk mail lists.
Limit your weekly trash. Be creative – upcycle, repurpose and craft to give items new life.
Conserve Energy and Resources
Small changes add up when it comes to saving energy and resources:
- Unplug devices when not in use or use power strips.
- Switch to LED light bulbs and turn off lights.
- Use fans and open windows to avoid A/C. Lower heating.
- Take short 5-minute showers and turn off water when brushing teeth.
- Eat less meat – plant-based diets have lower environmental impact.
- Drive less by bicycling, carpooling or taking public transport.
- Choose a reusable water bottle and coffee mug.
- Use washable towels and napkins instead of paper.
- Print less – go digital when you can.
Monitor your home’s energy use and water meter. See where you can improve.
Get Involved and Inspire Others
Beyond your daily choices, have a broader positive influence:
- Volunteer for sustainability initiatives and local environmental groups.
- Support brands and causes that align with your values.
- Contact government representatives to back green policies.
- Talk to family and friends about the changes you’re making to live sustainably. Inspire them.
- Share tips and ideas for green living on social media.
- Check out blogs and podcasts from zero waste and environmental advocates.
- Join communities to exchange ideas on simplifying and reducing waste.
Small acts by many create big change. We can all tread lighter together.